According to studies, diets that are high in protein are very effective. Researchers suggest that high protein diets help people control their appetites. How high amounts of protein curbs the appetite isn’t exactly known, although some experts believe that the protein reduces the levels of appetite-stimulating hormones received by the brain.
Another reason why high amounts of protein can help people lose weight is because the process of digesting protein requires 30% more calories than digesting carbs. This means that eating a lot of protein will ensure that your body burns more calories per meal!
High Protein Diet Tips
How can you add more protein in your diet? Just follow these tips:
- Meats such as poultry, beef, salmon, and chicken contain a lot of protein. Don’t be afraid to eat some lean meats – they’re not fattening like red meats. Try eating at least two servings of lean meats every day.
- If you’re a vegetarian, eat a lot of nuts, whole grain, lentils, tofu, and sunflower seeds. If you enjoy dairy products, add some yogurt, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, and milk to your diet. One cup of yogurt can contain up to 12 grams of protein! The amount varies depending on the brand, so check the label.
- Everybody knows that beans are high in protein! Kidney, lima, navy, and soybeans all provide numerous health benefits. They will help your body to burn fat and build muscle. Eat a bowl or two of beans 5 – 6 times a week.
- Always on the go? Too busy to prepare meals? Take a few protein bars with you to work or school. They contain a small amount of calories so you can munch on them all you want and still lose weight.
- Try spirulina. This seawater algae has been gaining popularity as a “superfood”. It is composed of over 50% complete proteins. It’s safe for animals and people both to eat. For humans, it’s available in powder and capsule forms.
- You need to drink A LOT of water! While drinking a lot of water is a given regardless of the type of diet you’re on, it’s especially helpful for a high protein diet. A sudden increase in your protein intake can cause constipation. Drinking a lot of water will relieve the discomfort.
- No weight loss plan is complete without exercise. Eating a lot of protein will give you plenty of energy so that you will feel like working out. Try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio a few times a week. Resistance training is also important, as it builds muscle and tons the body.
Drinking Protein Shakes
One easy way to increase your daily protein Sonus Complete intake is to drink shakes. Experts recommend drinking one protein shake every morning so that you’ll feel less hungry during the rest of the day. It will also provide you with more energy so that you’ll exercise more.
Here are the ingredients for the Chocolate Banana Nut protein smoothie:
- ½ cup of low-fat milk
- ¼ cup of cottage cheese
- ½ cup of nonfat yogurt
- 1 banana
- 10-20g of chocolate protein powder
- 2 tablespoon of dry oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of mixed nuts
- A few ice cubes for texture
This smoothie will take care of most of your daily protein needs. According to the dietary experts, the recommended amount of protein intake for an adult is 35% of total calories. If you’re on a 1,800 calorie diet, you can eat up to 218 grams of protein a day.